May 30, 2013

SUMMER CAMP JOBS

Hey everyone <3

I went away for a few days to Gambier Island. I volunteer at a shelter downtown and every summer they send groups of people from the downtown eastside to camp! I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to help out with their family outing which was an amazing experience!! I have never met so many adorable kids. I wanted to take them home with me :( 

It's funny because I actually despise camping with a passion. I'm what you would consider a very wussy girly-girl who would rather be inside a shopping mall than in a forest. However, I didn't want to embarrass myself on this trip so I sucked it up and in the end, it wasn't that bad lol. Each time that we went on a hike through the bushes, I literally held my breath. Each time that a little kid brought me a huge banana slug and asked me to pet it, I smiled and pretended that it was a toy. Each time that it poured rain on my head (it rained 95% of the time that we were there and I didn't have any rainboots or a raincoat), I smiled and was thankful that it wasn't snow!!

We had to take a sea taxi from Horseshoe Bay to Gambier Island. 
It only took about 15 minutes.


You can sleep in these overnight in a sleeping bag but thank God we didn't lol.


Such a cloudy and ugly day! 

One of the many banana slugs that we saw *yeck*

Pretty scenery <3 

Almost died when this kid brought me two snails



Even worse... a huge ass beetle :S

This cutie slipped on a log and hurt her hand so we did a little First Aid

When I came back to my bunk bed at night I found this adorable note!!

This girl decided that we should look a banana slug's mouth....

First time doing archery and not too shabby at it!

Trekking through the forest

Overalll, I'm glad that I came along for the trip because I had an amazing time. Being able to help families who would not normally be able to afford camp made me feel really good inside. I even got offered a job by the manager at the camp because he said they were looking for a first aid nurse AND a server for weddings! I am definitely thinking about it!

Funny enough, I am actually leaving to go camping again in a few days but this time it'll be for work. I work part-time as a care aid and my boss owns a cabin way way up north. I'm talking about in the middle of nowhere. Way less civilized than Gambier Island!! I don't know how I'm going to survive without a real shower (my boss told me I could shower in the lake, good grief), cellphone reception, and internet (I'll have to drive to the nearest town to use the internet for school which is about 1 hour away). Not to mention the colonies of mosquitoes (which I'm allergic to), bears, skunks, rats, pack rats (f*cking gross!!), wolves, etc. The only reason that I agreed to go up North with my boss is because I'll be getting paid really good. We are going away for approximately 7 days and my boss is hiring some people to work on his cabin since he can't do it on his own. Ahh... at least I'll be getting paid. I plan on surprising my boyfriend with a Louis Vuitton wallet (which is about $800) and a pretty mirror for my own room. 

I won't be making the same mistake again and this time, I'll be weather prepared. I bought myself a hot pink rain jacket today by K-Way. It's thin, 100% waterproof, and very durable! Plus it's bright so if I get lost in the forest my boss and the others better find me lol.

K-Way Rain Coat
Mine came to $50 CAD with tax

I also need to find a pair of waterproof shoes. I was thinking of hiking boots but they are really expensive, so I will probably end up getting rainboots. I'm not too keen on bringing my Gucci rainboots to the middle of nowhere so I'm trying to look for a cheaper pair. I found these Timberlands at Sportchek on sale for $60. If I don't see anything at Walmart (my boyfriend insists that I go there) then I may grab these.

Okay well I have to do 2 weeks of homework now as I won't have much internet access while I'm gone :( 


No comments:

Post a Comment